Friday, September 25, 2009

Sept 25

Yesterday, I went with Claudia, the Colombian who works at the special needs school. On Thursdays Claudia makes house calls. That day we visited a young mother with a very sick two year old girl, Jennifer. Jennifer was fine for the first two years of her life and then she caught meningitis. From what I understood when her mother took Jennifer to the doctor with a fever, the doctor did not correctly diagnose the problem. The doctor did not put Jennifer on antibiotics or anything to prevent the virus from causing more problems. Then Jennifer started to have convulsions. Judging by the loss of muscle and baby fat, I think Jennifer got meningitis awhile ago, survived the sickness, but it really took a told on her health. She is blind, deaf, and her legs have lost all muscle so she cannot walk. She can´t even eat. Claudia gave her food through a tube.

On Monday, we are taking Jennifer to Guayaquil for intense treatment. I believe she will be in the hospital for at least 2 months. Claudia needed a photo of Jennifer for some reason. Maybe the municipal, which I believe is paying for Jennifer's treatments, wants a photo for an article. Maybe the hospital needs a photo. The mother wouldn´t let Claudia take a picture of Jennifer. I don´t think she wanted a picture of her while she was so sick. Anyhow, the mother found an older picture of the girl. In the older picture Jennifer is sitting upright, with a healthy amount of baby fat on her arms and legs. It was heartbreaking to look at the picture and then look at the girl in the bed. It was hard to imagine that they are the same child.

Claudia seems hopeful that we will be able to help this girl. I hope she is right, but I doubt she will ever be as healthy as the girl in that picture. I really like Claudia. She seems on top of things, maybe its the name. I think her work is really important so I hope to work more with her. There is definitely a need. I just need to figure out where I can contribute.



Sept 22 2009

Friday night I went to the election on the raina in Cumanda, my sister city. I was really tired Friday afternoon and was not very excited when Jorge, my host brother and one of the people I work with called me at 10:00 at night to come downstairs to go to the reina elections. Disgruntled I went downstairs and about an hour later we left for the raina competition. When we got there a group of women were preforming. They were pretty good and the music was very fast paced so that woke me up a bit.

At about midnight, the reina competition started. It began with the candidates walking around in there bathing suits and introducing themselves. After that a man came out and sang traditional Ecuadorian songs. Then the candidates came back out in their evening gowns and answered a question. It was two or so in the morning when the questions were asked. Many of the men in the audience would drunk and loud. I felt pretty bad for the candidates.

At three in the morning they announced the winner. A girl named Kellie or the one dressed in the cafe colored gown. I had called her as the winner. She was very pretty, but mostly she was very confident in her walk and the way she presented herself. I wasn´t really listening to what she said in response to her question. They were speaking in Spanish, but I was very impressed with mannerisms during the response. In my opinion she was the clear winner, but the people I went with preferred the girl in red. They said she was the nicest.

I cannot get over that the reina competition started at midnight and ended at 3am. The reina is really important in Ecuador. Kellie will go onto compete for Miss Chimborazo, the Provence and then the winner of that will go onto compete for Miss Ecuador. I just think that it is weird that something so culturally important would begin and end at such a ridiculous time

I spent almost all of Saturday alone in my house. I used the reina competition of the night before as an excuse to sleep in and then I just stayed in the house. It was really nice to have some alone time. I feel a little guilty about it. Especially since my host family believes that if I am upstairs that I am asleep. I really think they believe that I slept around 20 hours on Saturday. Personal time isn´t valued here, but since I am living in a different culture, I value it more than I usually do. I often feel overwhelmed with the cultural differences and the language barrier. I often don´t feel like myself because when I can´t express myself very well, I can´t talk about difficult, important topics and I can´t make jokes. If I do, they are usually not considered funny. I can´t be sarcastic and I love sarcasm. Ecuadorians aren´t very sarcastic in general and sarcasm requires a fluency level that few reach in a second language. Because of this, I require more personal time than usual. I always feel a struggle between wanting to be social and wanting to have time to be myself.

3 comments:

  1. Ecuador is one of the most beautiful countries in South America. The weather, the colonial cities and the people are just fantastic. Nothing compares to the landscapes of the Highlands, the lush of the Amazon Jungle Forest, the exotic Beaches of the Coast and the mystery of the Galapagos Islands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice:

    Funding Available for Small Water and Sanitation Projects

    I am COO of Water Charity, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that does water, sanitation, and public health projects worldwide. We have recently started a new initiative, Appropriate Projects, to fund small water and sanitation projects very quickly.

    I am a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (Bolivia ’66-’68), and am well aware of the difficulties Volunteers face in the field. Water Charity has successfully completed projects of various sizes in cooperation with the Peace Corps. However, it occurred to me that we needed to further simplify the process for volunteers to get things accomplished. This prompted me to develop the Appropriate Projects initiative.

    Often there is that little project that must be done now (before the rains start, before school starts, or whatever), but there are no funds available. Traditional funding sources are cumbersome, and there are long forms, detailed requirements, limited resources, and long delays.

    Appropriate Projects has a very specific and immediate goal: We want to help you do your favorite project now.

    If you are working in water and sanitation, I know you have a bunch of projects lined up. If you are working in other project areas, there are usually water components to your projects, or facilities needed where you work or teach.

    Sample projects may be: a rainwater catchment, handwashing stations for a school, water for a clinic, piping, pumps, sinks, latrines, etc.

    We also like to “finish” projects that have been started, and “fix” things that have ceased to function.

    We encourage follow-up projects that expand upon the successful completion of the first small project.

    So, check out the Appropriate Projects website at http://appropriateprojects.com. If you have a project in mind, please fill out the application form. We want this to be easy for you, so we have developed a simple form that you can fill out in one sitting.

    If you have any questions about the appropriateness of your project, or you need some time to get it together, just let me know.

    If you do not have a project that qualifies, please pass this message on to your fellow Volunteers who may have an interest. Finally, if this initiative resonates with you, please let others know what we are doing through your social networks, websites, and blogs.

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    Regards,

    Averill Strasser

    Appropriate Projects
    http://appropriateprojects.com

    Water Charity
    http://watercharity.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog. You are a great writer and so strong for doing this. What a great experience. I feel lucky to hear about it second hand. Can't wait to see whats next :)

    ReplyDelete